Friday, January 9, 2009

The danger of swaddling!!

Jeff & I have been swaddling Makenzie ever since she was a newborn. We stopped for a little bit when she was about 2 months but realized how much better she slept when being swaddled so we started to use the technique again. Well little did we know that babies can become dependent on the swaddle! Now we have a 5 month old who has to be swaddled every night...I didn't even realize that most 5 month old babies sleep well with out being swaddled until I slept at my sister's house and she pointed out how funny Kenzie looked all wrapped up! When I checked the internet for articles about swaddling they recommended to gradually stop swaddling the baby one arm at a time. I can't help but laugh when I look at this picture of Kenzie's one free arm!

3 comments:

Emily said...

She is too much! Are you suppose to switch arms every other night? HA! Love that girl!

alexandra's mommy said...

we just stopped swaddling it was hard! Alexandra has the same sleeper!!! I love the ducks! "Squeeze Me!"

The Riggs said...

Cute picture! I just recently heard of "swaddle weaning." Emma would never stay swaddled so we gave up. We are working on getting her out of OUR bed now :)