Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Our forgotten baby

Our forgotten baby…




Everyone says that once you have a baby the dog is forgotten about…well its true! Poor Mika use to be our baby, we would take her for long walks, take her to the doggie park, buy her toys and bones and let her sleep in our room. Mika’s place in the family def has changed! Jeff has been doing a great job for taking her for short walks in the mornings but I haven’t walked her in months! I wait until her bladder is about to burst then I take her to our backyard that is literally the size of a small bathroom and that’s only if I know she can’t hold it until Jeff comes home. I don’t remember the last time Mika has gone to any park and mind you we live in walking distance from at least 4 parks! I feel bad saying this but we have even forgotten to feed her a couple times! I use to buy her toys and bones when I would go shopping now I don’t even remember the last time I shopped in the pet section. Now that Makenzie’s bassinet is in our bedroom Mika has found her bed further & further away from our room!



I believe Mika knew this was coming b/c when I was about 6 months pregnant she saw a chance to escape and she took it. One night Jeff took her for a walk and while he was cleaning her paws she ran out the door and never looked back! It was a pouring out that night and she did not have a collar on so we assumed she was gone forever! Although she is one of the nicest dogs I have ever met a lot of people are scared of her being a Pitbull so I knew not many people would try to approach her! About an hour later Jeff found her…later that night she seemed upset I’m not sure if it’s because she was in trouble for running away or she was upset that her one chance to escape had failed!
Now Mika is use to having Makenzie with us. She gets scared when Makenzie cries and she hides behind the futon or in her cage! I never once was nervous about Mika being aggressive towards the baby although people felt the need to tell me horror stories about Pitbulls & babies! I am more scared of her biting her toys than Makenzie. So far we have had only 2 casualties…she has chewed one of Makenzie’s bows (luckily I had 2 otherwise her toys & dirty bed would have been packed and she would have been kicked to the curb!) and she also chewed a hanging toy that goes on the baby’s swing! I think she is finally use to her place in our family now as “our dog” and not our baby anymore! I just hope she’s not planning on another escape! If I notice her belongings packed up I might get a little nervous!

1 comment:

ji said...

Maybe Bally and Mika could start a support group! When Mika ran away she was probably trying to run all the way to Constantia to live with mom!!!